We asked and you responded! Thank you so much to the 252 people who took the time to fill in our survey on what you wanted the future annual family weekend to be like, this is an amazing response.
We have taken your answers and are using them to inform us where, when and what you want to happen so that it can be as accessible for as many of Reach members as possible.
The summary of answers are below, but beyond these, the comments we got from you were extremely helpful in guiding us. Some venues have been identified and site visits should take place over the next few weeks. We will let you know the outcome as soon as we possibly can as we know that many of you want to get it in your diary.
- 252 responded
- 69% of which did not attend the AFW 2019
- The largest reason why people did not attend was the travel distance 38.51%, the second was that they had other plans 28.16% and the third was cost – 27.1%.
- In answer to direct question would you attend regardless of location – 31.69% said yes and 27.98% said no
- Is it vitally important the AFW happens around the October half term week. 85% said no, 15% said yes
- Most people want the family weekend in either April or October
- The most useful part o the weekend to most respondents 49.09% was Reach children getting the opportunity to meet other children
- The majority of people rated the overall experience of the weekend to be excellent.
- The majority of people rated the Gala dinner as good.
- The majority rated the venue as good
- The majority rated the exhibitors as good.
- The majority rated the speakers as excellent
- The majority rated the child care as good
We got some great quotes what the weekend means to you.
- Being at the Family Weekend was a fantastic experience for me and my daughter, who loved being surrounded by other people with arms like hers. She was inspired by the sportspeople and had so much fun meeting new friends.
- Attending the Family Weekend made us feel part of the family!
- You can’t really put a price on this event. My son gets filled with confidence. He is comfortable, he tries new and things and he loves having photographs with celebrities. The benefits last throughout the year. He puts the photos on his notice board in his room. He carries his Reach water bottle with pride. He brags about this weekend to his friends. It means so much to him. And therefore it means so much to us as a family too.
We also asked for suggestions – here are a couple of great ones.
- Why not make the whole day family time, I felt my son was an accessory who was not involved at all, even though we were there for him?
This type of comments was recurring, many families asked if we could include the children more rather than putting them in child care.
- I really think some of the speakers, especially the young inspirational Reach members would be beneficial for the Older reach children to hear. Not sure how to do this timing wise but Baylee and the midwife would have been wonderful messages for some of the teenagers to hear.
We will also take on board this comment as we want to include our young adults.
Once again Thank you
The Reach Team